Monday, February 4, 2008

San Francisco and Makani Power


This is the Makani Power office.

We've been hanging around the Berkeley area, and I think it's really great. I am trying to move to the Bay area by this fall, and we're thinking about where we would want to live. The Berkeley area has great markets and shops. We went to an Italian deli today and a Persian deli a couple days ago. There are great ethnic restaurants, like Thai and Indian. I also swapped some music with my friend Lynn. And we got giggles!

Of course, I am nervous about being able to get a job here. Makani Power seems promising. At the end they asked me who else they should interview and recruit. They also asked me how to get more female applicants. Apparently they got 5/500 female applicants or something like that. I am actually kind of surprised I don't know more EE people and EE women. I know some people, but they're not my class or looking for a job. But I told them I am working on the issue because I'm going to be an EE tutor for a summer program targeted at high school girls to get them interested in math and science. Mostly, it is to boost their confidence in their own abilities and interests. At the same time, even in China, there are still more men in engineering than women even at the height of equal expectations for boys and girls. Am I saying there is a genetic difference? I wouldn't say that because then it's a self-fulfilling prophesy, but perhaps there is something besides social pressures. It may something about how girls and boys learn or something.

No comments: