Saturday, August 16, 2008

EnergyQor

I just finished two weeks at my job. I'm in the failure analysis group, which means I debug failed units. It's fun.

Synqor is a power electronics company which makes DC/DC converters. They have a handful of product lines. I've mostly been working with the PowerQor product line, which usually converts higher DC voltage, like 48V to lower voltage like 5V. They come in sizes called half-brick, quarter brick, eigth brick, and 16th brick. They usually can source at least 20 amps, and they are extremely efficient. To put into perspective, your average laptop power supply can source up to maybe 2 amps, and it's the size of one of their half brick ones, which can usually source 50 amps. An efficient desktop computer power supply is 80% efficient. All the PowerQors are at least 90% efficient. Usually they're 95% or even 98% efficient. As a company, they are still privately owned but growing. They are doing well in today's market since highly efficient and cool (temperature) converters are hot now.

Here's a datasheet for a quarter brick 5V 30A converter. I've been looking at a lot of things like this.

No comments: