Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Speedy Reading

I need to read faster...perhaps with the help of the third edition of Speed Reading, I will.

I am seriously considering changing careers to policy and publicity, promoting ideas and programs I like. I'm not sure but I think I really like identifying priorities and developing strategies for accomodating the needs of multiple groups of people. It seems that I already have a good grasp of big picture issues if the relevant information is told to me, but if I'm to be actually effective in policy as a career, I need to be able to do my own research and that means being able to absorb a much higher volume of material.

1 comment:

I, Lynnbot said...

yea, i'm thinking about the switch too... as is one of my fellow grad students in the lab. well she's thinking science writing, but is also interested in policy. anyway the switch from hardcore science to something else. for me i'd want to be like the people's champion, either educating people about policy or helping to shape it. i would rather help shape legislation, but... have no idea where to start on that path...