Tuesday, April 28, 2009

David MacKay

One thing that is really needed in order to make progress on sustainability is comprehensive measuring of energy usage and comparisons.

David MacKay has made some progress on that in his book Without Hot Air. He refuses to fly since he claims airtravel is the single biggest individual contributor. It could be interesting to try to get him via video-chat for next year.

I would of course maintain some skepticism towards his findings, but this is definitely the kind of work that we need more of.

2 comments:

David MacKay FRS said...

Hi, thanks for the interest. Actually, while I am trying to cut down flying and use video-conferencing as much as possibly, I am willing to fly, in a good cause, especially now that Guantanamo bay is closing. I will probably fly to North America some time this year. I hope you enjoy the book, and I am always eager to have corrections and improvements pointed out. David (www.withouthotair.com)

mirthbottle said...

Hi! Wow, thanks for reaching out. I look forward to reading your blog as well.