Monday, September 22, 2014

Racial Profiling, Probability, and Stereotypes

I made a simple webpage this weekend to demonstrate how stereotypes can be self-reinforcing.  For me it was an exercise in making a kind of infographic.  It's not exactly an infographic since I don't actually use any real data.  It's more about learning the relationship between mental models and outcomes, which I think of as the "underlying system."

http://mirthbottle.github.io/rprofiling/



I would like to add some "exercises" at some point to guide people in playing with the assumptions.

I would also like to link to statistics and studies about racial profiling.  I didn't start with those because I believe that understanding the underlying system is a prerequisite for understanding empirical studies.

No comments: