Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rediscovering the Joy of Grocery Shopping

Thank you Whole Foods, for making me excited about grocery shopping again, even though I always end up overspending. (Turns out, I spend about $600/mo on food). Of course, I'll always really like shopping at Asian grocery stores like Kamman, but Whole Foods is definitely the best for white people food.

I definitely have a style of shopping, which is to browse and get whatever looks good and can fullfill my food needs. By food needs, I'm talking about planning out my meals for upcoming days while I'm shopping. Like, oo, weird mushrooms, maybe I can use it for dinner today and tomorrow if I also get some beef. I need something for lunch, ooo deli meat. I should get some bread, then. Shopping with a list totally gets me down. I sort of wonder if this is a genetic thing because I am pretty sure this is how my mom shops. In fact, I think my dad does it, too. They are better at it than me, though. The problem for me is that I tend to forget what my ten day forcast was by the time I get home. The planning while shopping part is such a thrill, but then I often end up throwing a lot of stuff away since I forget about them and they go bad. On the other hand, this happens less if I have plans for the things that are exciting, not like, oh I will probably need a veggie later in the week, I should get broccoli.

Plus, at Whole Foods, everything looks so delicious with their fancy yuppie packaging. But also, I think their produce and meats do look and taste better, but maybe I'm just fooling myself. I also like the variety, especially the availability of higher-end stuff like Applegate deli meats.

No comments: